Safer Internet Day 2019 Top Tips for 7-11s
Safer Internet Day 2019 is being celebrated around the world on Tuesday 5th February 2019.
The global theme is ‘together for a better internet’.
Everyone has their part to play in making the internet a better place, including you!
Have a look at the tips and links below with some suggestions on how to get you started and help you to stay safe and positive online.
More for 7-11 year olds this Safer Internet Day!
Our internet, our choice, so…
- Choose to be aware Make sure you know the rules about how to behave and stay safe on the sites, games and apps you like to use. Look out for buttons that let you block, mute and report other users who aren’t behaving and always ask for help if there is something you are not sure about.
- Choose to make sensible choices online Always keep your personal information safe and any personal information belonging to your friends and family. Check with an adult before signing up to a new game or online service and before downloading a new app or game .
- Choose to ask if it’s okay Always think about how your online actions might make others feel. Be a respectful friend online and remember to ask for permission before sharing something about someone else. This could include a picture, video or piece of their personal information like where they live or their full name. Take a look at our Safer Internet Day film to see what other young people think about asking for consent online.
- Choose to be a role model Always be kind to others online and support your friends if they are having a difficult time. You can help your friends by showing them how to block and report in games and apps or by going to talk to a trusted adult with them.
- Choose to ask for help If you are ever unsure about something you see online, or anything makes you feel worried, upset or confused then ask a trusted adult for some help and advice.