It has given me the confidence that I can make a difference' – Looking at the Childnet Digital Leaders Programme
Delivered as part of Childnet’s work in the UK Safer Internet Centre, the Childnet Digital Leaders Programme aims to empower children and young people to champion digital citizenship and creativity within their schools and to educate their peers, parents and teachers about staying safe online.
Throughout January to March this year, Childnet conducted its annual survey to gain feedback on the Digital Leaders Programme. This survey is an opportunity for young people and teachers taking part to give their thoughts on all aspects of the programme and ensures that the programme remains user-led and reflects the needs of young people.
We asked for their responses on all aspects of the programme including:
- Competencies concerning online safety
- Confidence and empowerment gained from the programme
- Usability of the platform
- Online safety topics they would like to cover in the training
- Suggestions for improvements
The results of the survey
284 Digital Leaders and 75 teachers took part in the survey, and gave some really fantastic and thought-provoking responses.
“I believe the Digital Leaders Programme is brilliant for allowing young people to voice their opinions, creating a safer internet overall, and for allowing and helping young people influence other young people.” – Secondary Digital Leader
We were thrilled with some of the highlights stats from the report, we found that:
- 92% of Digital Leaders said the training made them feel more confident about educating pupils in their school
- 85% of teachers said it has helped their schools staff fulfil their safeguarding duties
- 75% of teachers said that the programme has improved their Digital Leaders wellbeing
The views that we have collected will drive improvement and the future direction of the programme, and guaranteeing that the programme’s ethos of youth empowerment remains embedded throughout the programme.
“It is a well put together programme; I have learnt new things and can go and teach them to new people. It has given me the confidence that I can make a difference.” – Secondary Digital Leader