New features on Instagram – including challenges and restricting comments
Instagram have launched new features in their Latest update on the app. These features include ways for users to have more control over comments on their posts, and a new feature within stories where users can ‘challenge’ each other. This blog takes a closer look at these new features.
More control over comments
The latest Instagram update involves giving users more control over comments on their photos. This new update includes:
- The ability to delete multiple comments from a post at once.
- The ability to only allow your followers to comment on your posts.
- The ability to turn off commenting altogether.
New ‘Challenge’ feature
What are Instagram stories?
Stories are a feature on Instagram where users can add an image or video to their story. These are different from normal Instagram posts as they can only be viewed for 24 hours before they disappear.
How to take part in a challenge on stories
You can start typing a challenge that you are already aware of into the provided space. Alternatively, you can have a look through Instagram’s database of challenges, which is displayed at the bottom of the page. For example, you may want to show your dedication to staying at home during the current pandemic by taking part in the #stayathomechallenge.
- Accept the nomination and share your own contribution.
- Decline it.
- To make a comment on it.
You cannot currently create your own new challenge.
If you are completing a challenge after being nominated by someone else, you can also tag them so that they are made aware of your contribution.
Things to remember:
Whilst these challenges can be used positively, there is the potential for them to be misused. You may feel pressured into taking part in something, or feel judged in how you decide to contribute, or for not contributing at all.
- Remember that challenges are voluntary, and that you should never make someone feel like they have to take part in a challenge, or feel pressured into taking part yourself.
- Keep it positive – do not make negative comments about how someone decides to complete a challenge, or if they decide not to do the challenge.
- Report inappropriate challenges. If you see a post that you think shouldn’t be on Instagram you can report it to Instagram.
- Speak to someone you trust. Speak to a parent or teacher if you are upset or concerned about any challenges that you see. You can also contact Childline.