Questions on Instagram: looking at the latest feature
Recently Instagram introduced ‘Questions’ – the latest feature onto the photo sharing app. Users are now able to invite their followers to ask them questions, which they can then publicly answer. In this blog we look at this feature, and the things to be aware of whilst using Instagram Questions.
What are Instagram stories?
Stories are a feature on Instagram where users can add an image or video to their ‘story’ which their followers can then view. Stories are different from normal Instagram posts as they can only be viewed for 24 hours before they disappear.
What are questions on Instagram?
You can then position the questions sticker onto your story and invite your followers to ask you a question.
Your followers ask you a question by typing into the answer box in your sticker, and then sending this to you to answer.
To see the questions you have been asked, swipe up to open the viewers list for that part of your story.
Are the questions anonymous?
Instagram questions are not anonymous, the person who you sent the question to will know that it is you who asked them. However, if the person you’re sending a question to decides to share your question publicly, your username will be removed.
Remember that anonymous or not there is a real person behind the Instagram account that you are asking questions to. It’s important to act respectfully and kindly on this service and any other question platform you use.
Who can see my answers?
You can choose how you answer the questions you have been asked. When you click to reply to a question you are taken to a camera screen, where you can take a picture that will be the background to your answer. Once you have typed your reply to the question, you can choose whether to answer privately or publicly.
- Privately: you can choose to send your answer directly to the person who asked you in a private message
- Publicly: you can choose to post your answer onto your story so that all of your followers can see it. It’s worth noting that if you have a public account anyone who views your story will be able to view your answer.
You can also choose not to answer any questions you have been asked. You can delete any questions in the question viewer. If anyone asks you a question that is inappropriate or makes you feel uncomfortable you can always go and speak to an adult you trust, and report or block the user.
Things to remember
Whilst these questions can be used positively to find out more about your friends, there is potential for this feature to be misused. There have been reports of people using the feature to ask upsetting or insulting questions, especially if they think they are under an anonymous guise.
- Think about how your question will make someone feel
- Remember that they will be able to see what you post. If your question will hurt someone’s feelings it’s better not to ask it
- Report inappropriate questions
- If you see a story or question that you think breaks Instagram’s terms of service you can report it to Instagram.
- Speak to someone you trust
- Speak to a parent, carer or teacher if you are upset or concerned about any question you have been asked. You can also contact Childline by calling 0800 1111
Read more about Instagram on our blog
- Privacy settings on Instagram – what do they mean?
- What happens if I unfollow someone on Instagram?
- Polls and voting in Instagram stories
- How to spot advertising on Instagram
- Instagram introduces new comment moderation tools
- New Instagram tool helps users to look out for their friends
- More control over your Instagram profile