Key advice for social workers about understanding the impact of digital technologies on child protection.
It is vital that social workers:
- have a knowledge of the latest online threats, risks and trends in online communications and social networking
- understand the impact of technology on the lives of children and young people
- consider the use of technology by parents and carers which may impact on family function
- include relevant questions in family assessments to gain an understanding of the role of technology
- structure interventions which support appropriate use of technology within families
Below we set out some FAQs and some key resources.
In addition, SWGfL, a partner in the UK Safer Internet Centre, has developed a full-day training course and a toolkit specifically for social workers and professionals within social care teams who are involved in family assessments. The training was developed in partnership with South Gloucestershire LSCB and Social Work teams. It has been designed to be flexible and adaptable to existing assessment processes.