10 Tips for YouTube on its 10th Birthday!
To mark this important anniversary, we’ve put together 10 top tips to ensure you have a safe and positive time on YouTube.
- Be kind and respectful: check out this YouTube video created by Radio 1 vloggers about creating a #NicerInternet, and the #Up2Us film created by over 150 young people.
- Keep it clean: Know how to Flag content that is inappropriate. YouTube relies on its users to ensure content on the site is appropriate.
- Think about privacy: When uploading a video, think about the privacy settings and whether you want the video to be public, unlisted or private.
- Learn how to block: prevent someone from commenting on your videos or sending you messages byblocking them.
- Consider parental control tools: Learn how to enable Safety Mode to restrict access to age-inappropriate content.
- Know the rules: check out the community guidelines for YouTube and make sure you respect them. If you spot someone breaking any of the rules, flag the video.
- Don’t break the age rules: you must be at least 13 years old to create a YouTube account.
- Stay in control of your video comments: stay in control of who can post comments on your videos using comment moderation.
- Stay in control of your image: you can request the removal of videos that include your image, full name or personal information by filing a privacy complaint.
- Be creative: YouTube provides great opportunities to show your creations to the world, but make sure you’re not infringing anyone else’s copyright. If you are a young person who likes to create films, why not enter Childnet’s Film Competition?