Top tips for under 11s
The theme for Safer Internet Day 2017 was ‘Be the change: Unit for a better internet’.
Check out the top tips and resources below to help you make a positive change online, to stay safe and to help your friends!
- Be the change Play your part in making the internet a better place. Be positive, show respect and help people if they are upset.
- Be sensible Always tell a trusted adult if you are ever worried or upset by something that happens online. They are always there for you to ask for help if you are unsure about anything you see online.
Watch our SID TV film for 5-7 year olds to hear Red and Murphy’s advice about watching videos online:
- Be careful Keep your personal information safe and check with an adult before you share anything online. Personal information includes your email address, phone number and password.
- Be aware Make sure you know the rules about how to behave and stay safe on the sites, games and apps you use. Look out for buttons that let you block, mute and report other users who aren’t behaving.
- Be a detective The internet is full of brilliant things to watch, explore and learn from but not everything or everyone online can be trusted. Think carefully by checking at least three different websites for your information and talking to someone about what you have seen to see if they agree.
Watch our SID TV film for 7-11 year olds to help you think about there can be more to a picture than meets the eye: https://player.vimeo.com/video/195926643
- Be safe Never agree to meet up offline with someone you only know online. No matter how friendly they might seem or how well you think you know them, they are still a stranger. Always tell a trusted adult if someone online asks to meet up.