The power of images
This Safer Internet Day we will be exploring the power of image in digital youth culture.
Safer Internet Day
Safer Internet Day is celebrated globally in February each year to promote the safe and positive use of digital technology for children and young people.
This year, on the 7th February 2017, thousands of people around the world will unite for a better internet and consider what they can do to help ‘Be the change’. This year for Safer Internet Day 2017, the UK Safer Internet Centre is showcasing the power of image in digital youth culture today.
Images and videos
Image and video sharing are powerful tools of communication, self-expression and creativity, but there can be pressures, risks and potential negative consequences.
We need to ensure children have the skills, knowledge, confidence and resilience to communicate using images and videos safely and creatively.
This Safer Internet Day we want to empower children to have a positive time online and inspire everyone to ‘Be the change’ and use the positive power of image to help create a better internet.
Activities for Safer Internet Day
To explore these themes, there are a range of activities taking place for Safer Internet Day:
- Education Packs and SID TV to explore the issues children and young people face as a result of communicating using images and videos, from the pressure to be perfect, to the impact of sharing on their online reputation and privacy.
- #giveasmile social media campaign calling on people to use the power of emojis and selfies to help make the internet a more positive place.
- Emoji charades where people share their online safety tips using emojis
- Photography exhibition: young people across the UK have been creating images to share how images and videos play a role in their online lives, and these images will be exhibited at events across the UK on Safer Internet Day. Get involved with our photography project (pack launching in January) to create your own images!
- Research report into children’s use of images and videos online will be launched by the UK Safer Internet Centre on Safer Internet Day.