About Safer Internet Day 2018
Create, Connect and Share Respect
A better internet starts with you
Safer Internet Day 2018 was celebrated globally on Tuesday 6th February 2018 with the slogan “Create, Connect and Share Respect: A better internet starts with you”.
Activities took place across the UK to inspire a national conversation
- 1,700+ organisations across the UK are delivered activities for Safer Internet Day, from tech companies, banks and football clubs, to schools, police services and charities across the UK.
- The #SID2018 social media campaign reached millions – see what others posted. Plus look out for the #SID2018 custom emoji and Snapchat filter!
- The social media campaign was kickstarted with our Thunderclap on the morning of Safer Internet Day, which has a social reach of over 9 million!
- People shared their #ItStartsWithUs pledges to help inspire a better internet. See what others have created.
- Youth events took place across the UK, giving young people the opportunity to speak to policymakers about these important issues.
- Schools and others used our Education Packs, SID TV films and online quiz to run activities for children, young people and parents and carers.
- On Safer Internet Day, the UK Safer Internet Centre published a report into the role of technology in young people’s friendships.
- Celebrities got behind the campaign, such as Diana Award Ambassador James McVey of the Vamps.
- Families explored how to stay safe online using our top tips for under-11s, 11-18s and parents and carers.
A global celebration to help create a better internet
Globally, Safer Internet Day was celebrated in around 140 countries, coordinated by the joint Insafe/INHOPE network, with the support of the European Commission, and national Safer Internet Centres across Europe.